This section provides a library of all the preset materials available in V-Ray for Revit.
Starting with V-Ray 6, the V-Ray Preset Material Library is moved to the Chaos Cosmos Browser. Please use the materials from the Chaos Cosmos Browser for any new projects.
The Browse Materials in Cosmos button opens all available materials in the Chaos Cosmos Browser.
You can also load your own assets into the Library by using the directory button (). It adds a new file system location to read the .vrmat files.
Right-clicking on any material slate from the Preset Material Library gives the option to add it to the project.
UI Path and Functionalities
From the materials menu of the left panel, you can browse all V-Ray assets available for creation and add them to the Revit project. This can be done by drag-and-dropping of the asset into the central panel or by right-click and selecting the option Add to Scene. You can search the selected category or the whole Library for a certain asset by name. The functionality buttons at the bottom enable reordering of the assets' display.
Use the directory button and select the path where your assets reside. They appear automatically in a newly created folder of the asset's tree. Right-click on the folder and use the context menu options to remove or refresh the it.
Multi-selection of assets is possible in the Library, but you cannot drag-and-drop more than one asset at a time. Use the Add to Scene context menu option to add multiple assets at once.
The Asset lists have some additional multi-selection functionalities:
- Ctrl on deselected item - Adds to the selection;
- Ctrl on selected item - Removes it from the selection;
- Ctrl + A - Selects all items in the list/category;
- Shift + Left-click - expands the range of the current selection;
- Click + Drag - Leaves only the clicked item selected;
- Right-Click on deselected item - Shows the context menu for the item, selects the item and deselects all other items;
- Right-Click on selected item - Shows the context menu for the item and doesn't change the selection.
.vismat files created with V-Ray 1.49 or earlier versions of V-Ray are no longer supported. You can read a .vismat file containing materials in V-Ray but you can no longer save an asset in a .vismat format. Assets can be saved in .vrmat files only.
If you delete (right-click>Delete) an asset from the library, that asset is deleted from the system.
If you remove a folder/directory (right-click>Close) from the Asset Library, it is removed only from the assets list and is not deleted from your system
- The V-Ray Preset Material Library and Light Gen HDRI assets may be inaccessible for direct download to V-Ray 5 users. This can be avoided by upgrading to V-Ray 6.
Alternatively, the asset files can be acquired manually by downloading the following archive file and unpacking it at: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\
Restarting V-Ray after the asset files are placed will restore functionality to both the Material Library and the Light Gen. Note that a message prompting you to download assets may still appear - press Continue to safely disregard it.