This page gives details on how to install the Chaos License Server for Chaos products.
The Chaos License Server is a secure way to license products online. It is a highly-encrypted centralized online system that manages licenses for all your systems. Additionally, the Chaos License Server allows users to "borrow" licenses from their online accounts and work offline without having internet connection or a hardware dongle, for up to 14 days at a time.
On the Linux OS, please use your local user with the sudo command instead of the root user to run the installer.
1) Run the Chaos License Server installer that is included with the Chaos product installation package or download the Chaos License Server installer separately from the Downloads section of the Chaos website (you need to be logged in to access it).
2) Please read and accept the License Server Agreement. Then you can click on Install to start the installation. If you want to modify the installation, click on the Advanced button.
3) The Advanced installation provides the following additional options:
Destination directory – Allows you to enter a custom license server install directory.
Add firewall exception – Enabling this option allows the default licensing port (TCP 30304) in the firewall. If you disable it at this step, you will need to manually add firewall exceptions later.
Windows Default Install path - C:\Program Files\Chaos\VRLService
Linux Default Install path - /usr/Chaos/VRLService
macOS Default Install path - /Applications/Chaos/VRLService
Thebutton aborts the installation process.
Thebutton lets you go back to the previous step of the installation process.
The License Setup page for Chaos Products.button takes you to the
4) The installer then checks for running applications and terminates them.
This may take a few minutes so please be patient. The application may appear to be non-responsive, but it completes its search for running applications and moves on to the next step.
5) The Chaos License Server is installed on your machine. Click Finish to complete the installation.
6) The application is registered as a service using one of the init systems available within your machine's OS. Use the appropriate service commands to start and stop the license server.
For Windows, use the Start Menu shortcuts, located in the Start Menu > All Apps > Chaos > Stop/Start Chaos License Server
For Linux, use systemd
For macOS, use sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/com.chaos_group.vrol.plist to start the service
or sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.chaos_group.vrol.plist to stop the service.
The commands are executed in Terminal and prompt you to use your macOS user password.
9) Enter your my.chaos.com credentials. If you have forgotten your password, press the Forgot your password? link to set up a new one.
The Other Sign-in options button redirects you to the login page of http://127.0.0.1:30304/
8) The installation process is complete.
9) If you are installing for the first time and you deselected the Activate during installation option, a browser window of the Chaos License Server interface opens. Click the Sing in to enable online licensing link.
If you close your browser window, an easy way to reopen the license server page is from the Manage Chaos License Server link installed with the rest of your Application shortcuts (e.g. Windows Start Menu), which directs you to http://127.0.0.1:30304/
10) Open the Chaos Login Portal and enter your credentials.
For more details on how the Licensing System works, please see the License Setup page.
Run Chaos License Server installer safely on macOS Catalina and later
In macOS Catalina and later, when an app fails to install because it hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer, it appears in System Preferences > Security & Privacy, under the General tab.
Click Open Anyway to confirm your intent to open or install the app.
The warning prompt reappears, and you can click on Open.
The app is now saved as an exception to your security settings. From then on, you can open the app by double-clicking it, just like any authorized app.
For more information, see Apple's How to open an app that hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer article.
A silent installation allows you to complete the Chaos License Server installation without running the installer's GUI. To complete a silent installation, run the installer with the following command:
This installs the license server with the automatic preferences and accepts the EULA.
If you want to specify a custom installation directory or choose not to add firewall exceptions, run the installer with the following command:
The -quiet=1 argument automatically accepts the EULA. You can then select an installation directory and choose whether to include firewall exceptions.